EMFkidsDiscover : Camps
New 2012 Summer Day Camp!
This exciting camp is designed for rising 1st-5th graders diagnosed with High Functioning Autism/Asperger's Syndrome who function independently in a group setting and are interested in music.
Introducing Young People to Instruments of the Orchestra
EMFkidsDiscover participants receive a top-notch introduction to classical music and the orchestra through hands-on learning. Experienced music instructors from The Music Academy of North Carolina provide a kid-friendly and creative approach to music through instrument demonstrations, an instrument petting zoo, making and playing instruments, singing, and a unique introduction to melody, harmony, and rhythm. In addition to the afternoon activities, each participant is given two tickets to an EMF orchestral performance during the week of the camp!
A once-in-a-lifetime experience! EMFkidsDiscover campers will be visited daily by pre-professional musicians and receive an introduction to each instrument family—strings, woodwinds, brass, and percussion. Campers will be up-close and personal with some of the nation's top student orchestral musicians.
This camp boasts a 1:4 teacher-student ratio that gives students plenty of one-on-one attention and instruction. The camp will hold up to 16 students taught by two music teachers and two special needs resource teachers. The diverse expertise of the teachers and teacher-student ratio will give campers the ability to divide into smaller groups based on age and understanding. Don't miss this opportunity!
Campers will have the opportunity to:
- Be exposed to a variety of orchestral instruments from each instrument family,
- Increase awareness and understanding of music concepts (melody, harmony, and rhythm),
- Express themselves through music, movement, and drawing,
- Increase appreciation for classical music,
- Increase involvement in music-making, and
- Show an interest or talent in music and be encouraged to take private music lessons throughout the school year (for an additional cost through MANC).
Criteria for Student Registration
- Possess the ability to take 1 or 2 step verbal direction within a small group
- Possess the ability to attend to personal care (i.e. toileting and eating skills)
- Handle transitions with assistance
- Function in an inclusive setting (i.e. general education)
- Demonstrate an interest in music
Rising 1st-5th graders diagnosed with High Functioning Autism/Asperger's Syndrome who function independently in a group setting and are interested in music
- July 22-26, 2013
The Music Academy of North Carolina
1327 Beaman Place, Suite 100
Greensboro, NC 27408
Complimentary tuition is made possible by the Lincoln Financial Foundation. The value of tuition per child is $200+.
How to Register
Only a $40 registration fee is required (limited enrollment on a first-served basis) for students that meet the criteria outlined on the registration form. 16 students will be accepted: 8 students in grades (rising) 1st - 2nd and 8 student in grades 3rd-5th. Each receives a t-shirt (100% cotton), two tickets to an EMF Young Artists Orchestra concert, water, and supplies. A parent/guardian needs to supply a snack daily for his/her child.
Complete the registration form and mail or fax to:
PO Box 22026
Greensboro, NC 27420
Fax (336) 333-7454
For more information, email Courtney Shaw,
Director of Educational Programs, or call
336-333-7450 x 29
All information is subject to change without notice.