Associate Dean Of Students
2018 ASSOCIATE DEAN OF STUDENTS
Calvin Jenkins, Dean of Students
Melissa Edwards, Director of Education and Admissions
The Associate Dean of Students, Dean of Students and the counseling staff provide EMF students with support and guidance as they meet the daily challenges of the program.
The Associate Dean of Students, as a member of EMF’s leadership, shares responsibility for the welfare of the student body. She/he plays a pivotal role in preparing, leading, supervising and supporting the Music Festival’s counseling staff and in ensuring that students are well-supervised and that issues, should they arise, are dealt with promptly and professionally.
The Associate Dean of students will:
- Be responsible for students’ psychological and physical welfare. In some cases this may mean deciding to involve parents and health care professionals to ensure the welfare of a student. This also means working with the counseling staff to maintain a high level of student morale
- Work with students and faculty to resolve day-to-day problems, including physical well-being, attendance, attitude, etc.
- Implement all policies and procedures as described in the EMF Student Handbook. In cases involving potential dismissal of a student, the Assoc. Dean of Students, the Dean of Students, the Director of Admissions, and the Executive Director will form a special panel to review each case. (The panel may also include selected board, faculty and staff members, as required. A decision of dismissal may be made only by the full committee and not by any individual member of the committee)
- Communicate with parents regarding student emergencies, discipline problems, health concerns, etc. Any serious disciplinary action (e.g. dismissal) must be approved first by the committee named above before being communicated to a student’s parents
- Maintain strong communications with the counselors and individually coach counselors in their leadership roles
- Maintain regular office hours, to be approved by the Dean of Students and Director of Admissions
- Meet regularly with the counseling staff, the Dean of Students, and the Director of Admissions for routine discussions and problem-solving
- Supervise the work of the counselors, including the establishment and enforcement of residence hall rules, curfew, visitation, and quiet hours
- Work Counselor Office shifts, as needed
- Oversee communication of student transportation and procurement of vehicles
- Be accessible at all times in case of emergency
- Ensure that adequate supervision is provided for all off-campus trips
- An undergraduate degree (Master’s degree preferred but not required) and experience in counseling (or related field)
- Strong communication skills, problem solving skills and leadership qualities, including team and relationship building
- Ability to adapt to and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with people of a variety of ages, backgrounds, and personalities
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail, flexibility, and patience
All summer staff members are encouraged to attend a wide variety of concerts, educational programs, fundraising events, etc., to gain a thorough understanding of all aspects of the artistic and administrative activities of the Festival. Summer staff may occasionally be assigned to projects outside of their position descriptions, as needed.
Preference will be given to candidates who are age 23 or older. A valid U.S. driver’s license, and clean driving record is required.
SALARY: $3,200 plus room and board (Campus Cafeteria Meal Card OR $300 Food stipend. Please indicate choice)
ARRIVAL DATE: June 18, 2018
DEPARTURE DATE: Monday, July 30, 2018
All applicants must submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the EMF summer staff application. Send all materials to: Eastern Music Festival, Summer Employment, PO Box 22026, Greensboro, NC 27420. Deadline for the receipt of applications is February 16, 2018.
(336) 333-7450 ext. 228
Join the Mailing List!
Subscribe to EMF's eNewsletter and learn more about EMF's concerts and educational programs.