Media & Communications Associate
2017 MEDIA & COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE
(2 positions available)
Cathy Weaver, Public Relations Specialist
The Media and Communications Associates serve EMF as a key summer team members, working under the close supervision of the Public Relations Specialist and other EMF administrative staff.
One Media and Communications Associate will focus his/her energies on the written word and electronic media. The other will focus on photography, video documentation and electronic media. Both will have the opportunity to cross-platform. Together, they will be part of a fast paced, ‘real-time’ media and communications team.
Duties will include:
· Gathering materials for, writing, and editing press releases and media advisories
· Maintaining an email media database and offering assistance to media outlets
· Serving as a point of contact for journalists, editors, and other interested parties
· Assisting in coordinating information to/from local radio stations, televisions stations, newspaper reporters, etc.
· Assist reporters and other media contacts to coordinate interviews and chaperone EMF students as needed during interviews
· Ensure “messages” shared with media support the EMF brand and image
Assist in coordinating/scheduling faculty, guest artist, and student interviews
Assist journalists during coverage of concerts and rehearsals
Supervise student social media team (work study) for the purpose of scheduling, composing, editing, and posting materials on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and tumblr.
· Update multiple online calendars and websites including, but not limited to, WFDD Arts Calendar, Classical Voices of North Carolina, Visitor’s Bureau, etc.
· Update the EMF website, Facebook and other social media platforms
Mass Emails and Email List
Coordinate collection of email addresses at Festival events
Update the mass email list with emails collected from drawings and other email addresses received
Create copy for Email “blasts” for discount tickets, advertisements, etc. via Mail Chimp and Greensboro News and Record
· Collect and maintain print media coverage of Festival
· Disseminate concert reviews to Operations Office, EMF Orchestra Personnel manager, etc.
· Disseminate concert reviews to Guest Artist’s Management upon request
· Keep 6 copies of all programs, program inserts, donor inserts, etc.
Coordinate distribution of Festival brochures in surrounding area
Other Duties as Assigned
Applicants should have:
· excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
· experience-managing groups of people (specifically students ages 14-23)
· experience in customer service
· familiarity with digital photography/videography techniques and social media applications.
· experience in writing and communications via press releases, news posts on electronic media and social media marketing (for associate who focuses on written communications)
· experience with digital photography and videography and posting news on electronic and social media marketing (for photography/videography associate)
· applicants must have a valid U.S. drivers license, a clean driving record, and automobile transportation to performances and events 7 days a week including evenings.
Applicants should possess strong organizational and time management skills, the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and have an outstanding attention to detail. Strong computer skills (including Microsoft Word and Excel as well as the use of social media) are needed.
Knowledge of classical music is beneficial, but not required.
Media & Communications Associate who focuses on photography must supply his or her own digital SLR camera, smart phone and laptop computer. A go-pro camera and memory cards will be provided.
Media & Communications Associate who focuses on the written word and traditional and social media marketing must supply his or her own smart phone and laptop computer.
All summer staff members are encouraged to attend a wide variety of concerts, educational programs, fundraising events, etc., to gain a thorough understanding of all aspects of the artistic and administrative activities of the Festival. Summer staff may occasionally be assigned to projects outside of their position descriptions, as needed.
Preference will be given to candidates who are age 23 or older. A valid U.S. driver’s license, and clean driving record is required.
STIPEND: $1,000 plus room and board (Campus Cafeteria Meal Card OR $300 food stipend. Please indicate choice).*
ARRIVAL/START DATE: Monday, June 19, 2017*
DEPARTURE DATE: Wednesday, August 3, 2017*
All applicants must submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, writing samples and the EMF summer staff application. Send all materials to: Eastern Music Festival, Summer Employment, PO Box 22026, Greensboro, NC 27420. Deadline for the receipt of applications is February 17, 2017.
(336) 333-7450 ext. 228
*Pending grant funding, the start/end dates may be extended and stipend increased. Updates will be posted.
Join the Mailing List!
Subscribe to EMF's eNewsletter and learn more about EMF's concerts and educational programs.