Media & Communications Associate
2019 MEDIA & COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE
(2 positions available)
Kelly Swindell, Media and Communications Director
The Media and Communications Associate serves EMF as a key summer team member, working under the close supervision of the Media and Communications Director and other EMF administrative staff.
The Media and Communications Associate will focus their energies on the written word and electronic media and will have the opportunity to cross-platform. Together, they will be part of a fast paced, ‘real-time’ media and communications team.
Duties will include:
- Gathering materials for writing and editing press releases and media advisories
- Maintaining an email media database and offering assistance to media outlets
- Serving as a point of contact for journalists, editors, and other interested parties
- Assist in coordinating information to/from local radio stations, televisions stations, newspaper reporters, etc.
- Assist reporters and other media contacts to coordinate interviews and chaperone EMF students as needed during interviews
- Ensure “messages” shared with media support the EMF brand and image
- Assist in coordinating/scheduling faculty, guest artist, and student interviews
- Assist journalists during coverage of concerts and rehearsals
- Update multiple online calendars and websites including, but not limited to, WFDD Arts Calendar, Classical Voices of North Carolina, Visitor’s Bureau, etc.
- Generate social media posts to boost interest in EMF and ticket sales
- Update the EMF website, Facebook and other social media platforms
Mass Emails and Email List
- Coordinate collection of email addresses at Festival events
- Update the mass email list with emails collected from drawings and other email addresses received
- Create text for Email “blasts” for discount tickets, advertisements, etc. via Mail Chimp and Greensboro News and Record
- Collect and maintain print media coverage of Festival
- Disseminate concert reviews to Operations Office, EMF Orchestra Personnel manager, etc.
- Disseminate concert reviews to Guest Artist’s Management upon request
- Keep 6 copies of all programs, program inserts, donor inserts, etc.
- Coordinate distribution of Festival brochures in surrounding area
Other Duties as Assigned
Applicants should have:
- excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- experience-managing groups of people (specifically students ages 14-23)
- experience in customer service
- experience in writing and communications via press releases, news posts on electronic media and social media marketing
- experience with digital photography and videography and posting news on electronic and social media marketing (for photography/videography associate)
- a valid U.S. driver’s license, a clean driving record, and automobile transportation to performances and events 7 days a week including evenings.
Applicants should possess strong organizational and time management skills, the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and have an outstanding attention to detail. Strong computer skills (including Microsoft Word and Excel as well as the use of social media) are needed.
Knowledge of classical music is beneficial, but not required.
Media & Communications Associates must supply their own smart phone and laptop computer. If they have experience using a digital SLR camera and can supply one, then they may have opportunity to hone those skills. A go-pro camera and memory cards will be provided.
Media & Communications Associates must be able to work nights and weekends.
All summer staff members are encouraged to attend a wide variety of concerts, educational programs, fundraising events, etc., to gain a thorough understanding of all aspects of the artistic and administrative activities of the Festival. Summer staff may occasionally be assigned to projects outside of their position descriptions, as needed.
Preference will be given to candidates who are age 23 or older. A valid U.S. driver’s license, and clean driving record is required.
STIPEND: $1,000 plus room and board (Campus Cafeteria Meal Card, a $300 value).*
ARRIVAL/START DATE: Monday, June 17, 2019
DEPARTURE DATE: Monday, July 29, 2019
All applicants must submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, writing samples, photography samples (if applicable) and the EMF summer staff application. Send all materials to: Eastern Music Festival, Summer Employment, PO Box 22026, Greensboro, NC, 27420. Deadline for the receipt of applications is February 15, 2019.
(336) 333-7450 ext. 227
*Room and Board is available but not mandatory.
Join the Mailing List!
Subscribe to EMF's eNewsletter and learn more about EMF's concerts and educational programs.