Media & Communications Associate
2020 MEDIA & COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE
(2 positions available)
Kelly Swindell, Media and Communications Director
The Media and Communications Associates serve EMF as a key summer team member, working under the close supervision of the Media and Communications Director and other EMF administrative staff. The Media and Communications Associates support the Festival for ten weeks: during pre-season (June 1 – 26), during the five-week Festival (June 27 – August 1), and during post-season wrap-up (August 2 – 7), all with flexible hours depending on Festival schedule, events, performances, and content needs.
The Media and Communications Associates will focus their energies on the written word and electronic media and will have the opportunity to cross-platform. Together, they will be part of a fast-paced, “real-time” media and communications team.
Duties will include:
- Researching content, writing, and editing press releases and media advisories
- Maintaining an email media database and offering assistance to media outlets
- Serving as a point of contact for journalists, editors, and other interested parties
- Assist in coordinating information to/from local radio stations, televisions stations, newspaper reporters, etc.
- Assist reporters and other media contacts to coordinate interviews and chaperone EMF students, as needed, during interviews
- Ensure “messages” shared with media support EMF brand and image
- Assist in coordinating/scheduling faculty, guest artist, and student interviews
- Assist journalists during coverage of concerts and rehearsals
- Update multiple online calendars and websites including, but not limited to: WFDD Arts Calendar, Classical Voices of North Carolina, ArtsGreensboro, NC Arts Council, Greensboro Visitor’s Bureau, etc.
- Generate social media content and posts to boost interest in EMF and ticket sales
- Assist with content design and photography for Festival promotions, including posters and social assets
- Update EMF website and other online media platforms
Mass Emails and Email List
- Coordinate the collection of email addresses at Festival events
- Update the general email list with emails collected from drawings and other email addresses received
- Create content for email messages for discount tickets, advertisements, etc.
- Collect and maintain print and online media coverage of Festival
- Disseminate concert reviews to Operations Office, EMF Orchestra Personnel Manager, etc.
- Disseminate concert reviews to Guest Artist’s management upon request
- Keep 10 copies of all programs, program inserts, donor inserts, etc.
- Coordinate distribution of Festival brochures, posters, and promotional collateral in surrounding areas
Other Duties as Assigned
Applicants should have:
- excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- experience in managing groups of people (specifically students ages 14-23)
- experience in customer service
- experience in writing and communications via press releases, news posts on electronic media, content development, and social media marketing
- experience with digital photography and videography is beneficial
- a valid U.S. driver’s license, a clean driving record, and automobile transportation to performances and events 7 days a week including evenings
Applicants should possess strong organizational and time management skills, the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and have outstanding attention to detail. Strong computer skills (including Microsoft Word and Excel, Adobe Creative Cloud, social media platforms, email distribution platforms) are needed.
Knowledge of classical music is beneficial, but not required.
Media & Communications Associates must supply their own mobile phone and laptop computer. If they have experience using a digital SLR camera and can supply one, then they may have an opportunity to hone those skills in partnership with the Photography and Media Associate.
Media & Communications Associates must be able to work nights and weekends during the Festival season (June 27 – August 1, 2020).
All summer staff members are encouraged to attend a wide variety of concerts, educational programs, fundraising events, etc., to gain a thorough understanding of all aspects of the artistic and administrative activities of the Festival. Summer staff may occasionally be assigned to projects outside of their position descriptions, as needed.
Preference will be given to candidates who are age 23 or older. A valid U.S. driver’s license and a clean driving record are required.
STIPEND: $1,000 plus a Campus Cafeteria Meal Card OR $300 Food stipend (please indicate choice) and housing*, if needed.
ARRIVAL/START DATE: Monday, June 1, 2020
DEPARTURE DATE: Friday, August 7, 2020
All applicants must submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, writing samples, photography samples (if applicable), and the EMF summer staff application. Send all materials to: Eastern Music Festival, Summer Employment, PO Box 22026, Greensboro, NC, 27420. The deadline for the receipt of applications is February 20, 2020.
(336) 333-7450 ext. 226
*Room and Board is available but not mandatory.
Join the Mailing List!
Subscribe to EMF's eNewsletter and learn more about EMF's concerts and educational programs.