Over 75 professional musicians comprise EMF’s artist/faculty and over 200 young artists are selected to participate in the summer’s educational programs each season. Paid Fellowships for six violinists, three violists, and three cellists – who are between the ages of 23 and 33 – are available.
These twelve Eastern Music Festival STRING Fellows will have the unique opportunity to perform with the Eastern Festival Orchestra (the professional orchestra in residence). This ensemble’s rehearsal and performance schedule includes five to six services per week (three rehearsals, one dress rehearsal and one or two performances).
Fellows will also have the opportunity to participate in orchestral/conducting fellowship reading sessions and workshops, and to participate in one to three additional ensemble performances during EMF’s five week summer season, June 24 – July 29, 2017. These concerts will range from small chamber ensembles to larger chamber orchestra productions.
In addition, the fellows will also be assigned to three string quartets where they will receive coaching from EMF artist/faculty and earn additional professional experience. These quartets will perform on a series of outreach concerts in Greensboro’s public libraries, and at other professional development and audience engagement opportunities (outreach performances not to exceed two per week for each quartet).
Fellows are also encouraged to attend a wide variety of workshops, seminars and professional development opportunities and to expand their understanding of all aspects of the artistic and administrative activities required of professional musicians.
In total, fellows will work approximately 40 hours per week - including rehearsals and performances - with flexible hours as set by their immediate supervisors (personnel manager, faculty coaches). Work includes evening and weekend assignments. No outside (non-EMF) engagements may be accepted during the five week fellowship period without prior written agreement between the Fellow and EMF.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 23 and 33
- Applicants must be available for full term of Fellowship (Arrive June 22, 2017 – Departure, July 30, 2017)
- Applicants must have a valid U.S. driver’s license and a clean driving record
- $700 Stipend
- Room (shared on-campus apartment) and board (Guilford College meal card)
How to Apply
- Complete the String Fellow Application. All applicants must complete the String Fellow Application (available online at www.getacceptd.com/emfestival). The deadline for receipt of completed applications and video recordings is February 24, 2017.
- Upload your Audition Materials. All applicants must submit a Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, short biography (250 words or less), and the repertoire requirements for their instrument. All materials must be uploaded through our Acceptd portal. The fee for submitting your application and audition via Acceptd will be $35 prior to January 2, 2017 and $65 thereafter. Call (336) 333-7450 x227 for additional details.
The successful applicants will demonstrate professional-level artistic abilities and will also demonstrate that they possess excellent communication skills and the competencies required of EMF Fellows.
Join the Mailing List!
Subscribe to EMF's eNewsletter and learn more about EMF's concerts and educational programs.