EMF offers opportunities for exceptional young professional musicians (ages 23-33) to perform with the Eastern Festival Orchestra and gain valuable on-stage, outreach and leadership experience through paid fellowships.
The Bassoon/Contrabassoon Fellow performs with the Eastern Festival Orchestra (EMF’s professional orchestra in residence) under the baton of Maestro Gerard Schwarz, perform in chamber music ensembles, and play “anchor” roles in orchestral/conducting scholar reading sessions. Outreach/Community performances and engagement activities are encouraged.
The Eastern Music Festival Orchestra rehearsal and performance schedule includes five to six services per week (three rehearsals, one dress rehearsal, and one or two performances).
All Fellows are eligible to receive three (3) private lessons from members of EMF artist-faculty. Fellows also have access to a wide variety of EMF seminars, workshops, and professional development opportunities.
At the discretion of faculty/EMF Director of Education, additional teaching, coaching, and administrative experiences may be available (i.e., coach EMF students on contrabassoon, organizing the scheduling for contra use in the two Young Artists Orchestras).
Work includes evening and weekend assignments and no outside (non-EMF) engagements may be accepted during the fellowship period without prior written agreement between the Fellow and EMF.
NOTE: EMF has a contrabassoon that candidates can use if they do not have their own instrument.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 23 and 33
- Applicants must be available for full term of Fellowship (Arrive June 24, 2023 – Departure July 30, 2023) (No exceptions)
- Applicants must have a valid U.S. driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- $1,000 Stipend
- Room (shared on-campus apartment)
- Board (Guilford College meal card)
- Private Lessons with EMF Faculty (3 one-hour lessons)
How To Apply
All applicants must complete the Bassoon/Contrabassoon Fellow Application (available online at www.getacceptd.com/emfestival). The deadline for receipt of completed applications and video recordings is February 23, 2023.
All applicants must submit a:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Short Biography (250 words or less)
- Two letters of recommendation
- The repertoire requirements for their instrument. All orchestral excerpts can be found at https://www.orchestralbassoon.com/
All materials must be uploaded through our Acceptd portal. The fee for submitting your application and audition via Acceptd will be $35 prior to January 1, 2023 and $80 thereafter. Call (336) 333-7450 x227 for additional details.
Repertoire Requirements (Video Recordings Only)
Bassoon (in one continuous take):
- Mozart: Concerto for Bassoon, 1st movement, exposition
- Mozart: Marriage of Figaro Overture, 2nd bassoon, measures 139-171
- Brahms: Violin Concerto, movement 2, 2nd bassoon
- Beginning to 32
- Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra, movement 2, 2nd bassoon
- Beginning to 25
- Measures 165-181
Contrabassoon (in one continuous take):
- J.S. Bach: Suite No. 1 for solo Violoncello, Minuets I & II (no repeats; no da capo)
- Ravel: Ma mère l’Oye, movement IV complete (omit the 10 bar rest before number 4)
- Ravel: Piano Concerto for the left hand, measures 2-8
- Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5, movement 2, measure 65 to 9 after 68 (shorten the 11 bar rest)
- R. Strauss: Tod und Verklärung, Allegro molto agitato to 3 measures before letter F.
The successful applicants will demonstrate professional-level artistic abilities and will also demonstrate that they possess excellent communication skills and the competencies required of EMF Fellows.
Melissa M. Edwards, DMA
Director of Education
Phone: 336-333-7450, x227
Course offerings, faculty, visiting artists, fees, and other information are subject to change without notice. Eastern Music Festival is actively committed to a diverse student body and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, gender, or physical disability in the administration of its educational policies and programs.