Year-Round Staff Positions
Media and Communications Director
Eastern Music Festival (EMF), a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational/artistic institution located in Greensboro, North Carolina, seeks an initiative-taking, creative, entrepreneurial professional with a proven track record across all marketing areas. Reporting directly to Eastern Music Festival’s Executive Director, the Media and Communications Director will cultivate and maintain positive relationships with current and potential program participants, audience members, faculty and staff, donors, corporations, foundations, media, and public entities through the design, development, and implementation of multifaceted marketing and communications strategies.
As a member of the EMF leadership team, the Media and Communications Director will ensure the marketing strategies align to help promote EMF’s educational and artistic vision. This is a high-profile role requiring the ability to successfully manage multiple priorities in a demanding environment, have exceptional attention to detail, and a mixed approach to maintaining an enduring identity for the Festival as a welcoming, inclusive, and premier performing arts cultural destination on local, national, and global levels. The position hires and supervises two seasonal interns, is point person with various design and production sub-contractors, coordinates seasonal photography and video needs, and manages all advertising partnerships.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating a multi-channel local and national marketing strategy for summer study recruitment, seasonal programming, and patron engagement
- Generate consistent communications strategies across multiple platforms connecting students, faculty, alumni, donors, and patrons to memorable musical experiences
- Responsible for overall brand visibility of EMF’s identity via print collateral, marketing outreach, and online content to drive contributed and earned revenue goals
- Lead the media and public relations for the organization, secure feature articles listings; radio, TV, newspaper, and magazine interviews; concert reviews and other editorial coverage; maintain strong relationships with media influencers, journalists, and editors
- Write, edit, and manage print copy, website copy and content, e-newsletters, social media content
- Coordinate with box office and front-line audience services staff; freelance graphic designers and photographers; and freelance copywriters and program note writers
- Oversee season publication collateral, including EMF’s annual 140+-page playbill, selecting and working closely with content, design, and print vendors; determining content and production deadlines; gathering and editing faculty, performer, and guest artist biographies, supervising production activities, securing purchased and trade playbill advertising
- Drive sales of annual inventory of 12,000+ tickets and generating audience for non-ticketed performances/events
- Collaborate with administrative and artistic colleagues to set and manage annual marketing budget. This includes strategic planning and management of the Festival’s advertising campaign
- Represent EMF at public events, speaking engagements, conferences, and student recruitment activities
- Bachelor’s degree or higher is required. Post-graduate and/or arts administration degree is a plus.
- 5+ years of direct experience in media planning, communications, public relations, brand management, marketing strategies, arts administration, or related fields.
- Experience planning and executing marketing campaigns across multiple communications channels
- Availability and willingness to work long hours during the Festival season of June and July, as well as evenings and weekends, as needed, for special events and meetings throughout the year
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Personal and professional commitment to Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion in the arts
- Proficient in MS Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, WordPress, Mail Chimp, social media applications
- Experience with project management and online communication tools, Google Analytics
- Experience with photography and videography editing and production
- Knowledge of and passion for classical music and education; familiarity with performing arts and arts education
- Ability to mentor and lead seasonal interns in a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative atmosphere
- Comfortable multi-tasking and working with a variety of teams and committees
EMF’s offices are located in downtown Greensboro, and the EMF Media and Communications Director must reside in the greater Greensboro/Triad region. Overnight travel is infrequent.
Compensation and Benefits:
$45,000 – $65,000 annual salary, commensurate with experience
Paid vacations and holidays
Health insurance plan
Flexible work hours
403(b) retirement plan (proposed)
About Eastern Music Festival
Founded in 1961, Eastern Music Festival’s mission is to promote musical enrichment, excellence, professional collaboration, innovation, and diversity through a nationally recognized teaching program, music festival, concerts, and other programs that will enhance the quality of life, health, and vitality of our region.
Eastern Music Festival is distinctive, set apart by our accomplished faculty, exhilarating repertoire, brilliant students, world-renowned visiting artists, and extensive community outreach. We provide an unmatched educational opportunity for talented, dedicated, young musicians between the ages of 14 and 23 from throughout the United States and around the globe.
Our core festival programming (presented during our five-week Festival each summer) features more than 60 concerts performed by an acclaimed faculty of professional musicians, guest artists of remarkable talent from around the world, and 265+ young artists. As budget and year-round calendar allow, EMF presents additional programs throughout the year that are designed to foster audience engagement, diversity, and growth.
We are global ambassadors for Greensboro and a visible and respected international arts and educational institution.
To apply, please submit your résumé, a cover letter, three references, and a portfolio/writing samples to email@example.com. Please include “Media and Communications Director” in the email subject line.
It is our sincere intention to have a candidate starting in this position in January 2022. Applications will be reviewed as received, and the position will remain open until a candidate is hired.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.
Summer Staff Employment
Come work with us next summer! Being a part of Eastern Music Festival is rewarding. Each position is highly valued and provides professional experience in each area of expertise. Summer staff positions for the 2023 season are now posted.
You may apply by submitting the EMF Application Form with the additional materials listed with each position. Email all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with “EMF Summer Employment” in the subject line.