Twelve String Fellowships are available for young professionals – violinists, violists, cellists – between the ages of 23 and 33.
EMF String Fellows perform with the Eastern Festival Orchestra (the professional orchestra in residence) and in chamber music ensembles. Fellows also participate in orchestral/conducting scholar repertoire sessions and workshops and participate in one to three additional ensemble performances during EMF’s five-week summer session. These concerts range from small chamber ensembles to larger chamber orchestra productions.
The fellows are assigned to three string quartets where they receive coaching from EMF faculty and earn additional professional experience. These quartets perform a series of outreach concerts in Greensboro’s public libraries and at other professional development and audience engagement venues.
Fellows participate in a wide variety of workshops, seminars and professional development opportunities to expand their understanding of all aspects of the artistic and administrative activities required of professional musicians.
In total, fellows will work approximately 40 hours per week – including rehearsals and performances – with flexible hours as set by their immediate supervisors (personnel manager, faculty coaches). Work includes evening and weekend assignments. No outside (non-EMF) engagements may be accepted during the five week fellowship period without prior written agreement between the Fellow and EMF.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 23 and 33
- Applicants must be available for full term of Fellowship (Arrive June 26, 2021 – Departure August 1, 2021) (No exceptions)
- Applicants must have a valid U.S. driver’s license and a clean driving record
- $700 Stipend
- Room (shared on-campus apartment)
- Board (Guilford College meal card)
How To Apply
All applicants must complete the String Fellow Application (available online at www.getacceptd.com/emfestival). The deadline for receipt of completed applications and video recordings is February 21, 2021.
All applicants must submit a:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Short Biography (250 words or less)
- Two letters of recommendation
- The repertoire requirements for their instrument
All materials must be uploaded through our Acceptd portal. The fee for submitting your application and audition via Acceptd will be $35 prior to January 1, 2021 and $75 thereafter. Call (336) 333-7450 x227 for additional details.
- Recent recording of a major concerto or sonata (5 minutes). Piano accompaniment required.
- Orchestral Excerpts
- Three minutes of the first movement from one of the following: (Piano accompaniment required)
- Bartok – Concerto for Viola
- Hindemith – Der Schwanendreher
- Walton – Concerto for Viola
- Orchestral Excerpts:
- 5 minutes from a concerto of your choice. Piano accompaniment required.
- One movement from a Bach Suite
- Orchestral Excerpts:
The successful applicants will demonstrate professional-level artistic abilities and will also demonstrate that they possess excellent communication skills and the competencies required of EMF Fellows.