One fellowship position is available for a professional trombone player between the ages of 21 and 33. The 2023 fellowship is open to tenor trombonists.
EMF’s Trombone Fellow performs with the Eastern Festival Orchestra (the professional orchestra in residence) and in other Festival ensembles as programming dictates.
The Eastern Festival Orchestra rehearsal and performance schedule includes five to six services per week (three rehearsals, one dress rehearsal, and one or two performances). In addition to the rehearsals, performances, and individual practice/preparation identified above, the Trombone Fellow will be given teaching opportunities at the discretion of the faculty and receive private lessons.
Additionally, the Trombone Fellow has access to a wide variety of workshops, seminars, and professional development opportunities giving them access to all aspects of the artistic and administrative activities required of professional musicians.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 21 and 33
- Applicants must be available for full term of Fellowship (Arrive June 25, 2022 – Depart July 31)
- Applicants must have a valid U.S. driver’s license and a clean driving record.
Room (shared on-campus apartment)
Board (Guilford College meal card)
How To Apply
All applicants must complete the Trombone Fellow Application (available online at getacceptd.com/EMFestival). The deadline for receipt of completed applications and video recordings is February 23, 2023.
All applicants must submit a
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Short Biography (250 words or less)
- Two letters of recommendations
- The repertoire requirements for their instrument.
All materials must be uploaded through our Acceptd portal. The fee for submitting your application and audition via Accepted is $35 prior to January 1, 2023, and $80 thereafter. Call 336.333.7450 x 227 for additional details.
- Solo – Choose one of the following. Must be unaccompanied.
1. David: Concertino (beginning to letter D)
2. Grondahl: Concerto, Mvt. I (beginning to number 3)
- Excerpts – The following excerpts are required. They can be in any order, but must be unedited in one track.
If a second round of auditions is needed, candidates who advance will receive an email with PDF’s of the music. The pieces will be as follows:
- Mahler: Symphony No. 5 (Mov. 1: 17th bar after rehearsal 3 to Rehearsal 4; Mov. 1: 9th bar after Rehearsal 24 to Rehearsal 25; Mov. 2: 13th bar after Rehearsal 15 to Rehearsal 17)
- Ravel: Bolero (Solo only)
- Rossini: William Tell (Rehearsal C to 9th bar after Rehearsal D)
- Wagner: Walkürenritt (Ride of the Valkyries) (Minor and 1st Major sections)
The successful applicant will demonstrate professional-level artistic abilities and will also demonstrate that they possess excellent communication skills and the competencies required of all EMF Fellows.
Melissa M. Edwards, DMA
Director of Education and Admissions
Phone: 336-333-7450, x227
Course offerings, faculty, visiting artists, fees, and other information are subject to change without notice. Eastern Music Festival is actively committed to a diverse student body and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, gender, or physical disability in the administration of its educational policies and programs.